Please note the following points when booking Junior Keeper, Shadow a Keeper or Close Encounter experiences:
All experiences must be pre booked
Only selected dates available throughout the year
Due to the popularity of our experiences we advise that you book in advance to avoid disappointment
Experiences must be paid for in full at the time of booking – under no circumstances can dates be reserved without full payment taken
All experiences must be booked within one year of purchase and before the expiration date of a gift voucher
All of our experiences start from the age of 8 years old Junior Keepers must be aged 8 – 15, Shadow a Keeper 16+
Please be aware that many of our animals are carnivores –feeding of animals may not be suitable for the squeamish!
Keeper experiences may include:
- Preparing food and feeding the Meerkats, Lemurs and Coatis
- Meet our reptiles up close
- Clean out and feed the Parrots
- Help fly a bird of prey (minimum age 12 years)
- Feed the bugs and butterflies
- Clean out and feed our Farmyard animals
- Help prepare animal enrichment
Participants will receive:
- A VIP experience, no sharing your day
- A souvenir photo with your favourite animal
- Lunch for participant (Shadow a Keeper only)
- Personalised certificate
- Free admission to Tropical Wings Zoo all day for the participant (and 1 supervising adult for the Junior Keeper experience)
Our Junior Keeper experience lasts for 2 hours and our Adult Keeper 4 hours
Close encounter experiences include:
- Up to 30 minutes meeting one of the following: Meerkats, Lemurs, Coatis, Reptiles, Birds of Prey or Birds of the world
- VIP one-to-one treatment
- Free admission to the Zoo all day for participant
- Souvenir photo with your chosen animal
- Personalised certificate
Please note: Participants for our Birds of Prey Experiences must be a minimum of 12 years old.
Before your visit
It is important to wear suitable clothing for your experience, please take into consideration weather conditions as, depending on the experience you have booked, you will probably be spending most of your time outside. Sensible shoes, preferably boots, are a must for health and safety reasons. Warm and waterproof clothing is recommended for an enjoyable day. For any experiences booked for a child (i.e. 15 years and under), an adult will be required to remain with the child and supervise them at all times. This means you may need to enter enclosures with the child and even assist them in their duties where necessary! The participant is welcome to spend the day at the zoo and all accompanying guests must pay to enter the Zoo. The experience is for the recipient only.
Health & Safety Information
Full health and safety instruction will be given on the day. A reasonable level of fitness is required to take part. Please advise before booking if an experience needs to be varied to accommodate a disability. For Junior Keeper Experience, Adult Keeper Experience and Close Encounters the participant is required to have an up to date tetanus vaccination. We regret that these experiences are also not available to pregnant women as a precautionary measure to protect the unborn child from potentially harmful zoonosis (diseases that can be passed from animal to human). Experiences are not suitable for those allergic to dust, animal fur or bedding. Any other allergies should be discussed at the time of booking and again on the day.
It is essential that all Keepers (and supervising adults) agree to abide by the rules and regulations in place at Tropical Wings Zoo. Failure to do so may mean that your experience is terminated early. This will not be deemed grounds for a refund.
- Cancellations made less than 30 days before the date booked for the experience will incur a £15 rebooking fee – which must be paid before an experience is rebooked. Experiences can only be rebooked once.
- Please note that refunds or extensions are only given for what Tropical Wings find to be exceptional circumstances, such as long term Illness, injury to the participant or immediate family member and pregnancy. It does NOT include work or hobby commitments, disagreeable weather conditions or other members of your family or party unable to make the day. Refunds are only made to the purchaser.
- Owing to the nature of the attraction it may be necessary to change your activities without prior notice. We will do our best to offer a similar alternative but hope you understand the welfare of our animals must come first and we thank you for your understanding should this affect you. We regret this will not be grounds for a refund.